What is microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is performed with a machine that uses crystals and a vacuum to gently buff away the surface layers of dead skin. These are responsible for making our skin appear dull and can also deepen the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Which microdermabrasion machine do you use?
We have the latest Dermagenesis® M2 medical microdermabrasion machine, which uses fine aluminium oxide crystals.
How does microdermabrasion work?
Fine abrasive crystals are vacuumed across the surface of the skin, causing portions of the epidermis to peel away. The vacuum also pulls blood to the outer layers of the skin, as well as dilating and cleaning pores.
Is there a difference between medical microdermabrasion & microdermabrasion done by a beauty therapist?
Medical microdermabrasion uses cuboid shaped crystals whilst non-medical microdermabrasion uses round crystals. Thus medical microdermabrasion can produce a better exfoliating effect.
Who can benefit from microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a simple treatment that can have great benefits for many people:
- Ageing and uneven coloured skin
- Dry and rough skin conditions
- Fine lines and moderate wrinkling
- Sun damage
- Acne and acne prone skin
- Moderate scarring
What should I expect from my microdermabrasion treatment?
We will cleanse your skin thoroughly prior to starting treatment. As the head of the machine is applied to your skin you will feel the suction and a slightly scratchy feeling as the crystals pass over your skin surface. We will go over each area twice to really maximise results. We will then cleanse your skin again, apply a recovery balm and an SPF.
Is there any downtime after microdermabrasion?
- Your skin may look slightly red for 24-48 hours after treatment.
- You may experience some flaking of the skin 3-5 days after treatment.
What differences will I notice in my skin after microdermabrasion?
After microdermabrasion you will notice the tone of your skin looks more translucent and lustrous. Dull and environmentally damaged skin will have been eliminated, and discolouration caused by ageing will be improved. These changes can be seen after 4-5 weeks, which is the time taken for a complete cycle of cell regeneration.
Is one microdermabrasion treatment enough?
Whilst one treatment will make your skin feel softer and look more radiant, most people benefit from a course of treatment. We offer a discount on a course of 5 treatments, which should be taken 10-14 days apart. We advise maintenance treatments every 4-6 weeks.
Is microdermabrasion suitable for everyone?
Microdermabrasion is suitable for all skin Fitzpatrick skin types.
Is microdermabrasion painful?
No, microdermabrasion should never be painful.
Is there anything I should do to prepare for my microdermabrasion treatment?
Ideally come to your appointment without make-up on, but otherwise there are no specific preparation instructions.
What after-care advice should I follow after microdermabrasion?
- You should avoid exposure to extreme heat (such as sun exposure, saunas, hot baths and intense exercise) for 24-48 hours after microdermabrasion.
- A recovery balm will help to ease the dry tight feeling microdermabrasion can give you. We stock a very good product that you can buy if needed.
- Apply an SPF every day, as this will help to prevent the build up of thick skin as a result of sun damage.
- Drink plenty of water, as microdermabrasion can dehydrate the skin.